Hiroshima Jogakuin University is a higher learning institution for women consisting of the Faculty of Liberal Arts, the Faculty of Human Life Studies and the Graduate School. The total enrollment including international students is approximately 1870. HJU is one of the four constituents of Hiroshima Jogakuin, the other three being the Junior High School, the Senior High School, and the Kindergarten.
The five key concepts characterizing HJU are; Christianity, Women, Hiroshima, Peace and Cosmopolitanism. The aim of HJ, from its very beginning, has been the intellectual and religious culture of young women in accordance with the principles of Christianity. On that basis, HJU encourages students not only to strive for the mastery of academic knowledge and skills for their own career, but also to nurture themselves for the purpose of serving others. Also as an educational institution located in the A-bombed city, Hiroshima, HJU has emphasized peace education as the important part of its education. With this background, the peace-minded HJU graduates of good will have gone forward to careers in various fields in Japan and countries around the world.
Global Studies in English (GSE) is the academic study of social, economic and cultural relationships in the world. Increase your understanding of the world, the people in it and the issues affecting us all. Learn about differing cultures, economies, languages and business practices. Study about the world’s religions, women’s issues and the importance of the environment. Develop a global way of thinking with GSE, and do all of this through courses taught in the world’s current global language-English.
Using a variety of media, the curriculum combines theoretical background with practical experience. All GSE majors will participate in either Global Village Field Experience (volunteer or internship abroad) or Volunteer or Internship in Japan. GSE will provide students with a deep cross-cultural understanding and prepare them for work, study or volunteer activities in Japan or abroad.
HJU offers many opportunities to study abroad. These include programs that are a month, semester, or even one-year long. Tuition is waived and credits are transferred, so graduation will not be delayed.
Faculty of Liberal Arts, Department of Liberal Arts
– Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services
– Communication Technologies/Technicians and Support Services
– Communication, Journalism, and Related Programs
– Computer and Information Sciences and Support Services
– Foreign Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics
– Japanese Language and Literature/Letters
– Liberal Arts and Sciences, General Studies and Humanities
– Philosophy and Religious Studies
– Social Sciences (Economics, Political Science, etc.)
– Theology and Religious Vocations
Spring : April – August
Fall : September – January
- Application form for Admission to Hirohima Jogakuin University
- Letter of Recommendation
- Official transcript
- Evidence of English ability TOEFL PBT 500, iBT 61, IELTS 5.5, Sing/Camb GCE, equivalent
- In Case of Emergency Notify
- Interview in person, by Skype (including written exam and dictation test) [once we have received your completed forms, we will contact you to arrange an interview]
Enroll from April: January 4th
Enroll from September: May 31st
Estimated Living Cost